My frisbee is signed and my bags are completely packed. Even though my host family kicked me out of the apartment 2 days before my departure (trust me, it was them, not me), I still had an awesome end to my trip at a frisbee friend's apartment in Barrio Norte! My first experience couch surfing was so great I will definitely look into it again when I travel next. The past weekend was so great that I am even more sad to leave- I really didn't realize how truly welcoming the couchsurfing frisbee group was until they all took me out for a going away dinner/night on the town! Of course I'm eager to go back home but the city has grown on me. I've learned so much and really wish I had more time to get to know the locals better. But, alas, I must return to "reality". Here are just a few things I've learned while in Buenos Aires:
If you want something from your host family, seriously, just ask.
Find a collectivo stop with two colectivos- one that goes directly where you want to go and another that goes in the general direction. That way if your colectivo is 45 minutes late, you can take the alternative and walk the rest of the way.
Don't take the subte between 8am-10am and 4pm-7pm. Actually, just don't take the subte. Take a collectivo. Less sweaty underground people, more direct, and cheaper. And it doesn't flood.
Never get a pastry from a bakery with jam or cream filling. Stick to dulce de leche- it will always be satisfying.
Coffee shops selling cafe con leche for around 10-15 pesos usually serve better tasting coffee/food combos at a cheaper price.
No restaurant will give you tap water unless you ask. And even then they will probably lie and say they don't have tap water and give you a $3 bottled water.
Never say "thank you" when someone hands you mate, NEVER move the bombilla, and always drink all of the water before passing it back
(I can't believe I'm saying this but) flashing a smile at men never hurts when you are ordering food, waiting in line, standing on the bus etc. You may get free food or a seat. On the other hand, if you don't want attention from men who call out to you, don't be polite. Ignore them and immediately walk away.
Well, that's it. Until next time, Buenos Aires! I'll make it back someday because I promised a date to some Malbec and dulce de leche facturas.
No comments:
Post a Comment