28 May 2013

The best (sushi) I ever had

25/5

I've been craving sushi, no surprise, and so I decided to splurge on a nice sushi restaurant in the city. After doing copious amounts of internet research, I found a very nice (and very expensive) restaurant about a 20 minute colectivo ride away from my house. I asked my LSA group if anyone wanted to join me and, also unsurprisingly, no one responded. (My LSA group is terrible at being an actual group.)
I took a shower, got all dressed up, and went out looking for this sushi restaurant in Colegiales, a neighborhood I had not yet explored. After using the address google maps gave me, I found out that the sushi restaurant had been replaced by a BBQ place. I was determined to get sushi, so I kept on walking around the neighborhood, which reminded me a lot of an outdoor mall in Southern California. I eventually found Ceviche, another sushi restaurant that was on the "Top 10 Sushi Restaurants" list in Buenos Aires, so I entered and got a table by myself on the top patio. 

So there I sat, completely surrounded by young couples filling every table around me. It was great people watching, because some women seemed like they didn't want to be there with their date. The waiter definitely felt bad that I was eating alone because he was giving me great service, asking if I wanted water or bread for the table and relighting the candle on my table (which blew out any time someone walked by). I asked for tap water because the water in this restaurant was bound to be expensive. My waiter brought me bottled water, but I didn't complain because tonight was my night to splurge! I ordered a salmon roll with avocado and cream cheese. The interesting thing about sushi in Buenos Aires is that nearly every roll has cream cheese included with it- a bit weird but I could deal. And when the waiter brought out my roll- which was a perfect rice to fish ratio- I was so happy to bite into the best sushi I've ever eaten. Maybe it was the almost excessive amount of cream cheese, but the sushi was soft and sweet and so good! I apologize that I cannot describe it better, but this is why I am not a food connoisseur. All I know is that I've had a lot of sushi in my day and this was the best I've ever had. So, if you're ever in Buenos Aires, make sure you go to Ceviche for some great sushi! I also hear they have stellar peruvian food.

Bottled water ended up being $2.50. Extremely expensive but the quality of the sushi made it almost worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment