I woke up early this morning and, surprise surprise, it was still raining. I couldn't get anyone in the hostel convinced to go on a day hike with me (and my dorm-mates Tony and Benjamin were going on the hike to Refugio Frey) so I decided to take a short walk around Llao Llao in the National Park. It was really more of a walk than an actual hike so I felt OK about going alone. I strolled on down to the bus stop and waited 45 minutes for the bus that supposedly comes every 20. I was really wet and disillusioned about this so I walked back to my hostel expecting to spend the day working on homework, writing postcards I still haven't gotten around to, etc. However, after an hour of watching Netflix, Ben and Tony walked in the room totally soaked as well. Since it was a National Workers Holiday, all of the stores were closed so Ben couldn't buy a sleeping bag for his trek. I asked if they wanted to join me on a short hike (all I wanted to do was go outside) and they said sure! Then I got a text from Sutton asking if I was doing anything today and if she could join, so her addition made our group a solid 4. We met and eventually found the bus for a 40 minute ride over to Hotel Llao Llao. I asked for directions to the hiking trail from the security guard at the gate and he told me I speak Spanish very well. I was pretty excited about that as we started our nature hike through the National Park. The rain was pretty bad but we were out for an enjoyable 2 hours exploring and talking. Ben and Tony are both from Vermont and are the same age as Sutton and I, so we had a lot to talk about. When we got to the scenic point, Sutton taught the guys how to do the "skinny arm". After we walked back and found an empty (but very muddy) parking lot next to the lake for a bit of tossing before catching the bus back into town. We got back at 7:30pm. Overall, it was a solid day for what was supposed to be a disappointment!
El Bosque de los Arrayanes
Scenic viewpoint
Working the skinny arm
Just a bit of frisbee in Patagonia, no big deal
No comments:
Post a Comment