08 April 2013

I almost bought a zoo

5/4

Today I went to the Buenos Aires Zoo with Brian and Nathanael, and it was a glorious day in the sun filled with monkeys, tapirs, and weird rabbit-deers (see: Mara) that roam freely around the zoo. Brian kept trying to lure the rabbit-deers closer to him so he could pick them up and throw them in the lion cages, and failed horribly (more than 6 times, all of which I have on video). Then there was me and Nathanael, the biology majors with a trail of Maras following us at all times. It was pretty hilarious how frustrated Brian was getting at this. I was surprised that the Buenos Aires Zoo has its own aquarium exhibiting the fish of South America, but very disappointed to find they only showed pictures of piranhas. The zoo is much larger than I expected and, unsurprisingly, some of the animals weren't taken care of very well. Many of the monkey exhibits displayed monkeys that were in too small of cages and depressed, and the "farm" area (that reminded me of the Nevada State Fair) had about 20 goats to a tiny pen. I was considering applying for a job so I could improve the animals' conditions, but then realized I only have about 8 weeks left and it is more of a year-long commitment. Maybe pre-Grad school?

Om nom nom- even the fish were starving!

Nathanael, the rabbit-deer whisperer

Hungry cat being fed over the glass by the zoo keeper

What a gorgeous butt on that Mandrill!

Oh, hey Caaaarrrrl

Those goats really know how to fit their head, horns and all, through a hole in the fence

The baboon exhibit reminded me of a brothel- the males line up on one side to groom the females through the fence and sometimes, if the male is lucky, the females stick out their butts to them

Nathanael imitating a meerkat

No comments:

Post a Comment