18 April 2013

On Wednesdays we go to the opera

Last night I went with a few other members of the LSA group to Teatro Colón, Buenos Aires' (and Argentina's) premium opera house with the "best acoustics of any opera house in the world". We saw Carmen. And I am speechless. I really don't know how to describe it and give the quality of the performance justice. Carmen was sung in Italian and the subtitles were in Spanish, but unlike Macbeth, which I saw a few days earlier and was performed entirely in Spanish (also a dynamic performance), I understood a lot more of the plot solely because I was able to read the text instead of struggle through listening to and understanding Spanish influenced by Shakespeare's language. Carmen was my first opera and though I have nothing to compare it to, I'd say it was very well done. This is also coming from the fact that Natalie, the theater major, has seen operas before and said this was exceptional. This is becoming a trend, but a lot of firsts for me happen overseas and are usually some of the best (see: eating my first papaya ripe off the tree in Tanzania). I'm getting really spoiled, I know. At least I admit it?

Our seats. Not the nosebleeds ("Henhouse" as the Argentinians call it), but still one of the cheaper seating options. $15 bucks a ticket! Not bad at all since the acoustics are sooo good in Colón so I could hear everything fine. 

Damnit Don José, why do you have to be so selfish?? Taking up the whole stage for yourself... 

Entire cast of Carmen taking the final bow

No comments:

Post a Comment